When I first started racing cross last fall on my MTB I did it just to check it out, goof around, and have something to do on Sunday afternoon instead of watch NFL and my Fantasy stats. I always had it in the back of my mind I might take it seriously, never really put much more into than that though. After all, I originate in bike racing from some pretty hardcore cross country MTB racing. Really, how could I get too serious about cross....come on man, its friggin manicured double track! I was having fun, goofing off and just riding as hard as I could, didn't really care much. Typically, once I finish the Gateway Cup Laobor day Weekend, road season is done for me and I don't really ride my bike during the week anymore, and by god cross wasn't changing that! I ended up doing 5 races in 09' on my trusty Ibis Alibi MTB. Towards the last couple races I was starting to think...."ehh, maybe I'll get a cross bike for next year, we'll see." I Left it at that and never really thought much more about it.
Well, I got a cross frame in the spring of 2010 and slowly accumulated parts over the course of the road season. I got it built up by the end of Sept and off I went to do my first cross race on a legit cross bike. FUNNER!!! way more fun than doing it on an MTB. However, my KHS frame was a clear defect and would never be able to run properly. I sent it back and got on a GIANT TCX, our team had just acquired a lower level sponsorship with them and our shop, Deerfield Cyclery.
I decided to register for USGP of Cyclocross in Louisville. That was a real eye-opener for me, REALLY! (the full race report is posted)
I immediately started taking this serious, i was ready!
No more goofy hand ups, mischief, and all that jazz.
I got 12 races under my belt and applied for my upgrade to Cat 3, I decided to upgrade before the end of the season to get couple races for experience before next season. It came through and was approved! That's it, it's game on now for me and CX racing. Before this, I toyed with the idea of racing MTB again outside of the road season. I've decided to go after CX with all I've got instead of traveling an all to familiar road. No more playin around in cross. Next season will be fun, fast, and intense on the cross bike. I'll actually keep training during the week after Gateway Cup!! Going to do a couple national level races as a 3 next year too!
Understand this, I do as I preach. Beginner is not about results, money, placings, or an overall; its about getting out of beginner! Which I have done, officially nutted up!
How fast can you go on your cross bike?? I am now a Cat 3 in Cyclo-Cross racing, time to show I belong!
No comments:
Post a Comment