February 10, 2011

Training With Power, Power Training

I've been training with power for about a month now. I'm really digging it, A LOT! Power isn't for everyone thats for sure. I've put it off for a couple years just telling myself, why? Its a big monetary investment (at least the way I wanted it is) and I have used HR going all the way back to 1994. So whats the big deal anyway. Well, I "get it" now, after being immersed in it for a solid 4 weeks. The jump from HR to power is as big as the jump to HR in the 80's from pure techniques and "gearing". That's how those guys did it back then. Well, that and simply racing a lot.


The Chiropractic technique I have been practicing is results oreinted with measureable changes on Xray all based on specific numerical protocols established by more research than any other technique in the profession. And I have been practicing this specific technique called CBP (Chiropractic Bio-Physics) for 10 years come this August, it is a very analytically driven technique. So to say that analysis, technique, and protocol is imbedded in my thinking processes and wiring is probably an understatement. Training with power leaves no "grey areas" and is a perfect fit for me. Maybe this is part of why I have been stagnant in my progression on the bike. I know its part of the reason, actually. Training with power is very specific if its done and used properly. If not, its just an expensive meaningless number pinned to a workout.


I have a great coach, Jim Scott, who by trade is a computer geek which makes him perfectly wired for research based protocols and understanding those protocols. He is a father of two, which makes him a great teacher. And when he was in the Army years ago, guess what, he was on the Army Corp of Engineers. He is teaching me tons day to day and I am "getting it". If you would like to get in contact with Jim, simply contact me.


Today he had me doing supraThreshold work just to do a little "test" to see how big my Anaerobic "tank" actually is. I've got a good tank. A big part of it is genetics, however, you can still train and improve it. Much the same way VO2max is. Genes determine the ceiling for the most part, you can increase it but usually only a small percentage can be gained. Still worth working on from time to time.


So what is the big deal about power then. Well, power gives you real time instant feedback on the amount of work you are doing. HR is a delayed report of how much your body is doing. Its not a direct measure of what you are doing. By using power you have the ability to keep the force load constant. Much like lifting weights in the gym. Letting the heart adapt to the load, not adjust the load to keep the heart in a specific "zone". This is a big BIG difference!


I use a Quarq CinQo power meter attached to SRAM cranks and the ANT+ data is collected on a Garmin 500. (yes I want the 800, later. I want IndoorRide rollers first) 


So what is all this doing for me? Well, only after just a few short weeks, I am already seeing gains in my fitness. The fact that I am now able to do Threshold with an anaerobic component is testament that my fitness has already begun to show improvement. I started of doing 2x20's at 80% FTP, then 85%, then 90%. Last week I was introduced to 2x20's with bursts to 120%. That was cool. I have another week of work after this week and then get a rest week. The rest week is probably going to be the toughest week!! On the future plans, the next level will be introducing a day of 3x20's hopefully rocking them at 96%!! I will be incorporating supraThreshold work at specific intervals as well, those are what I am really looking forward to, some hardcore interval shit right there! HA!


My coach told me this week that "my ability to crit this year is going to improve quite a bit this year". That sounds good to me homie!

No comments: