Tour de Villas 30+ Open
| Photo: S. Keeton |
After we did our duties for the morning and got shifts changed over for wherever we needed Tim, Greg, Kevin, Aaron, and I lined up for this one. It was pretty cool to have 5 Project 5’s on the line and I think this was the first time the 5 of us have raced together. The temp at race time was pretty high and humidity was in full effect. I carried one ½ bottle just for my head. That’s always money when it’s hot and humid. Its feels like a turbo boost when you’re getting hot. Aaron and Kevin raced the race before this one (I believe). Tim, Greg, and I spoke for a sec about what could play out and what to watch for. Aaron rolled up to the front line and parked next to Tim and I. Then I could hear Tim say “ya, do it, ya, do it” to Aaron. I put 2 and 2 together pretty much knew what was up. Aaron lifts the pace from the gun for a 2-3 laps and strings it out. Everything settles after a bit. Greg shakes free off the front either bridging up to some dude or vice versa. Either way, I jumped to the front and soft pedaled front and center, it worked for maybe half a lap, Greg and his friend didn’t have much time to get it together because Boba wasn’t buying my in-the-drops soft pedal very long and quickly jumped around.
A few laps later, someone or two get a little gap, I was feeling decent so I pulled it about halfway back over the course of a lap and sat up. No one really wanted to pull through but the pack did maintain the pace I set. That move was soon finished.
I bungled the last lap. I clearly heard the bell and “1togo1togo”, but, for some reason I’m rolling along saying to myself “ok, 2 more laps”. We get about half way down the backstretch and someone lit the fire, I responded just fine. However, properly maintaining my “brainfartedness”, I’m thinking, "awe mang! This is gonna hurt for a whole lap and half!" We clear the final bend and headed toward the line and then I see 5 or 6 guys on the very front get out of the saddle……F%*&#! THIS IS IT! I dig with what I have left. 16th/35?
Ave Sp - 25.5
Ave Sp - 25.5
ABR State Crit Wood Dale, 4s and 1/2/3s
4s
I went in with hopes of snagging a jersey, wasn’t to be. Close but no dice. 1st, you have to have the fitness to play the game, 2nd, you have to have the smarts to be in the right spot when its go time, and 3rd, you need a little luck on your side some days. Today I had everything but the luck. I rolled up front the first 30 minutes, laid down an attack about 3 laps in to string it out a little bit and put the hurt on a couple guys that were riding like idiots. Riding up front was just stupid in this race, the front 5-10 guys were surging wayyy harder than necessary up the hill every lap. I was on the verge of popping after about 30 minutes decided to I had enough of that unnecessarily wearing myself out following these dumb surges up the rise. Put it this way, I went to the back and dropped 200w off the peak of the surge up the hill each lap. They call out 2 togo, I’m the last one across the line. Not a problem because this pack drops major anchor on the backside when they hit the wind. We hit the line to get the bell; I’m now sitting 10th wheel approx. We have to negotiate a lapped rider on the backstretch who’s just putting along, in the wrong gutter! Fine, whatever, I go into the turn at the bottom of the hill 5th wheel, we’re cruising up the hill and I’m locked on the wheel in front of me, we dive into to last turn and the front cut hard to the inside to reveal another lapped rider going the turn RIGHT in the middle! I had to make the split decision to dive inside and potentially chop everyone behind me or fade to the outside, stay on the gas, and hope I can carry enough speed. Downhill tailwind sprint, the guys behind me went inside and that was it, the inside line cut off too much ground to be able to make up. 11th/30
Ave Sp - 25.0
Ave Sp - 25.0
Can you tell when I got tired of the unnecessary surges on the front and went to the back... -->
1/2/3s
Jumped in this race immediately after my 4s race. Was pretty stoked because I get to race with some of my Cat 1/2 buddies for the first time. I had pre-set goal of at least 30min in this race and then a gut check. I rolled it pretty well, actually feeling decent. Erik Tomlinson, Scott Pearson, Todd Metz, and several other names I knew were pretty fast were all in the race.
This race was actually easier than the 4’s, 900x’s smoother too. These guys don’t unnecessarily wear themselves out doing stupid meaningless surges. The other nice thing is they don’t start the race with first 2 laps like they’re the last 2 laps.
About 10 minutes in I see Erik (WDT) roll of the front and he’s got one with him. They call a $25 prime the next lap. We’re almost to the set-up for the turn before the hill and I see Sean jump to the front inside. I knew immediately what was up so I figured I would help him and Erik a little. I jumped on the outside straight to the front and went soft but appeared efforting up the hill. The field knew there was no chance for them to pull in the still very small gap and get the prime. I soft-pedaled the entire lap all the way back to the top of the hill and the gap to the break had absolutely blown sky-high on that lap. Sean got his prime and Erik had a nice gap from the field. While I was sifting to the field Tim Speciale (PSIMET Elite) actually bridged up, he knew what was happening and also might have thought that I knew Sean and Erik. Soon I started hearing a clicking come from the rear wheel, I pulled to the side for a quick diagnosis as I floated back….stop pedaling, still clicking….hmm, not the derailleur. I stop at the wheel pit next time around before something blows up on me. Switch rear wheels and noise disappeared. Then I got pushed back in a 7 man chase group and not the field, ya, that lasted about 2 laps before I fell off, I drifted back to the main pack and did a handful more laps back there and then decided to pull the plug, legs were fading fast. Erik and a few lapped the field and Erik went on to win!
Ave Sp - 26.1
Ave Sp - 26.1

No comments:
Post a Comment