I wanted to do this race last season but just didn’t for
some reason, I forget why. Maybe it was the 4.5 hr drive so close the Gateway
Cup, Edwardsville is south Illinois almost in St. Louis. This year I decided to
go. It is clear from last year’s reports and watching the build up to this
year’s race that this town throws some good money at this race and does it right.
Another reason is I don’t have that many crits on my resume this season since
almost all of the ICA Cup races have been on Saturdays (not sure why) and I
have worked on Saturdays this year, Edwardsville was on a Sunday. Another
reason to help my decision, a teammate let me stay at her house in Springfield
Saturday night easing the drive. Thank you so much Marilyn!
I arrived in Edwardsville a couple hours before my 12:45 race start
and it was HOT!
Perfect day though, all sun no clouds! Immediately upon
arriving it was apparent that this race is done right. Lots of locals already
out and about along the racecourse, pretty much had spectators all the way
around the course. This was a fun, technical, tight, fast lap course. Loved it.
It is kind of a figure-8 hourglass type of course but not really, kind of hard
to describe. Half of it was REALLY tight and had a chicane, which I dig!
![]() |
| Turn 2 beginning the chicane, turn 6 other side |
I had a relatively simple plan for the race; I was there
solo, so that tends to simplify things at times. It was really tight on the
back half of the course so pack position was going to be important. I started
the first few laps close to the front and stayed pretty close to it all race. We
raced 26 laps, which came out to be 46 minutes. The early laps I just tested a
few different lines and got a feel for how the pack was riding the course
through the technical portions. After just a couple laps I had the efficient,
fast, and safe lines through the course dialed in. Now it was just settle and
roll.
There was a crash on lap 3 or 4 in turn 3 pretty close behind me, I heard it and saw the two guys go into the outside curb out of my peripheral vision. It was pretty obvious after a couple pre-ride laps that the outside of 3 was gong to be the heads up corner for sure. One guy didn’t stay on his inside line and drifted to the outside and pinched the other guy into the curb, boom, they hit the deck. After two laps I already had that turn figured out and wasn’t going near the outside of that turn to avoid just that happening to me.
![]() |
| Photo: Studio239.org |
There was a crash on lap 3 or 4 in turn 3 pretty close behind me, I heard it and saw the two guys go into the outside curb out of my peripheral vision. It was pretty obvious after a couple pre-ride laps that the outside of 3 was gong to be the heads up corner for sure. One guy didn’t stay on his inside line and drifted to the outside and pinched the other guy into the curb, boom, they hit the deck. After two laps I already had that turn figured out and wasn’t going near the outside of that turn to avoid just that happening to me.
At about the half way point, a lone Dogfish rider managed to
sneak off the front. We upped the pace just a little and never let him out of
sight. He did manage to gain about a 20 second gap at one point. Team Guitar Lab (great bunch of guys) from Evansville Indiana did a lot of work
pulling Dogfish back, as they should, they had numbers (3 or 4 guys). Seemed
like a good number of guys had been dropped pretty quick, we started lapping
guys at about the halfway point. At around the 6 to go mark we pulled up on a
big group of about 8 dropped guys that tried to re-integrate right at the
front….really! That was pretty annoying. Within another lap or two we popped
them out that back. 2 to go, I’m sitting top 15 and the pace is up with a lot
of re-shuffling going on.
Bell lap:
I come out of the small square sitting pretty and we’re
moving pretty good, I take the inside turn 6, which was my fatal mistake. We’re
heading down the stretch to the final turn, about half way, the torch gets lit
and its on, I need the inside line for the last turn but cant get to it, I have
to stay put hang on and give it what I got with what I have. I should have
taken the outside of turn 6 which would have set me up better for the run to
the final turn (turn 7). Tactically, all logical thought would tell you to do
what I did as it appeared to be the correct approach for the last two turns,
its one those situations you don’t realize its not until its done. The line is
only about 50m from the final corner. I rail it up to and through the final
turn taking positions. Coming out of the final corner was a one shift and done,
which I knew would be, so grabbed as many spots as I could before the final
corner. Ended up with 10th, two spots out of the money, 45
finishers.
Ave sp race: 24.4
Ave sp Bell lap: 27.0





1 comment:
Great story of the race Shawn! It's always fascinating all the tactical aspects to it. Sorry you didn't do as well as you wished, but good on ya nevertheless! :-)
Post a Comment