For those that haven’t ridden it, Monday was the combined
course, 1.7 miles in length. 60 minute crit. The course consisted of approximately 9 turns, 2
of them being right hand sweepers and a chicane to finish out the lap. It also
has what I consider a 2 section gradual rise and when you turn at the top you
turn into a 25-30mph head-cross wind. I really dig this course, especially the
fast right hand sweeper after the hard left.
Monday was not the brutal heat that Sunday was, but it was
very warm none the less at the 2pm start time. We had the usual suspects that
have been racing all weekend at the line. Tomlinson, a couple PACT guys
including Rentas, Pearson, Jostein, and about 4 or 5 Burnham’s today.
My plan
for the day was simple:
1)
DO NOT ride off the front solo early in the race
(like Saturday)
2)
Hang on and cover strong when the attacks hit
3)
Position myself high up in the pack when we hit
3 to go and hold it and be no less than top 10 when we get the bell.
As soon as I
see it, I grab Vic’s (PACT) wheel and hang on. We get the bell and I’m sitting
5th or 6th wheel, right where I wanted and planned on
being. I just sit and tell myself take any wheel that tries to come over the
top. We rail through the hard left turn and right hand sweeper at 33-34mph all
the way to the bottom of the rise. I hit the last turn before the head wind
only losing one position. We come up the rise to the chicane and Mendoza
pinches me to the gutter and I had to check up, we bump a little and I lose a
spot to him and a couple other guys that come around but I don’t panic and keep
driving…continuing my steady ramping up. We clear the chicane and the sprint is
on, I hold steady and wait a touch maintaining my position, then I let go. I
take a guy and then there’s Mendoza next, I take Mendoza 20m from the line and
ran out of real estate before I could get the next two guys, Tomlinson and
Rentas. Not sure if I could have taken them too but boy was I close and right
there!
Finished right behind them; literally. Took 9th in the field
sprint and 12th for the day! This race is a big win for me in that I
feel I have come of age with these fast guys and have proven to myself that not
only can I hang with them but I can also contest the race right there with
them!

1 comment:
Nice Recap!
Post a Comment