Well, not too much to say, this will be short. The course has a nice steep climb that rises around a 100 vertical feet and then it's full bore 33+ mph 90 degree turns to the bottom. The decent was well worth the pain of the climb!
I had a horrible start, I was on the front row of a field of 66, couldn't get clipped into my left pedal for about 25m which immediately put me 30 spots back at the base of the climb...not good.
I was climbing decently, it was definitely getting more difficult each lap but I was recovering better as the laps wore on. As I looked at my data graphs post race at home, they reflected this.
I have come to realize that my descending skills are very very good!! Probably better than 98% of my class. That's probably due to many years racing mountain bikes at a high level I guess. On one lap, I went into the last turn catching onto the wheel of a Cuttin Crew rider just before the entrance into it and then nearly slammed into his rear wheel hard because he grabbed the brakes in the apex, which was not necessary, I have been taking it much faster already the previous laps. I yelled out "WOW DUDE!!" "You don't need that much brake man!" He was good guy though, he apologized, I just told him no worries and proceeded to go around.
The last lap before I got pulled I was actually picking guys off, so I was a little pissed! The front group was less than half a lap up the road. To top it off, there were two guys that came up to my wheel at the top of the and they just sat on my wheel as we started the downhill, the hung on for the first of 6 turns but by the time we were at the bottom I was at least a 150m off the front of them and I wasn't even trying to drop them!
As I'm about 300m from the line I see the head " I prematurely pull riders" official motioned for my to shut it down....the lead group was less than half a lap up the road!!! Then, to further my aggravation, the two riders I just left behind weren't waved off!!! WTF dude!!
Just as I was starting pick guys off, I got pulled. It'll be interesting to see how many guys got pulled. I wouldn't be surprised if half the field got yanked!
That's it, day over! Fox River Grove 1 Shawn 0
Proctor Cycling Classic next weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment