Q narrowly missed the state jersey!! Q and I talked a bit before the race and put in a game plan with a couple options depending on what unfolded during the race. The ultimate goal was to get Q in the Championship jersey. He has the innate fitness. I would do what I could for him toward the end per our plan.
Well, he ended up in a pickle early on. I was carrying a second bottle with just water to dump on my head and back if needed. It was a pretty humid day and my buddy Sean who raced about an hour and half prior to ours told me you better carry a 2nd bottle. Boy did we need it! on the second lap into the race, Q rolls up behind me and says "Shawn! I dropped my bottle!!" I said ok, roll up to me. after a couple short straights we hit the long back stretch and I motioned for him to come get my spare. The bottle was about 2/3'rds full so it should help. I would have given him my only bottle if I needed to, the goal was for him today.
For the first 2/3rds of the race I monitored and rolled top 10, Q tucked in back behind me. The plan had me towing him to the front at a predetermined point if we were together and keeping a smooth wheel in front of him. If we weren't together then he was still to make that move and go with another wheel he knew. When the time for the move came there was an attack off the front and we were not in proximity of each other at that instance. Q did exactly what a smart racer must do, no hesitation and just GO! He moved straight to the front, shut down the attack and settled in top 5. Out of turn 7 up the rise on the final lap he unloaded and went for it! He held it all the way to the line only to miss the top spot in the state by a narrow margin! 2nd would be our finish!! Job well done Q!! And congrats to a smooth strong junior Trevor Rolette on his podium right behind Q!! And congrats to Kyle Selph of Tower Racing on the state championship win and top spot! You're marked ;-) As for myself, I rolled in for a pack finish, spent! Fast race!!
Race Speed 26.0
My Ave HR 187, Max 198 WoW!
No comments:
Post a Comment