Not too much to report after the 40 minute mark. We had 66 starters line up for the Cat 4/5 race. This race was 50 minutes. My longest of the season thus far. Wasn't sure what to expect out of my legs since I had only been on the bike once in the last 2 weeks due to life getting in the way of training/racing. Felt fine the first 35 minutes and then just started to crack. More mentally than physically I think. But the legs were definitely not feeling too good any more. Not sure if it was the 2 gradual rises each lap adding up or the idiots unnecessarily braking in turn 4 every single lap not allowing you to use any momentum up the rise immediately after it. Probably a combo of everything would be my guess. I'm certain the First Endurance pre-race mix and EFS system saved my butt for awhile!!
Race went well for about 3/4's of it, ran top 10 for the first 30-35 minutes until I started cracking and drifted into pack fodder. The last prime with 5 togo, 4 at the line, is what did me in. Honestly, I was only about 60% into it mentally. There's been a lot going on at work the last 2 weeks so my head has been out of the game, I needed this race to start to get it back into it though more than anything, which it did. I narrowly avoided the typical cat 4 knucklehead pileup on the main straight at the finish line in the middle of the race. Went OTB with about 4 togo. Just rolled it in the biggest gear I could muster. DNFL & DNGL so that was good. I did get some good practice with clean safe chopping (which a Cat 1 friend taught me, thx John M ;-), just didn't time them right and made some errors with holding the gained positions. I've come into fruition with art of moving up now. It was great to have Tim, Matt, Sean, and the girls there and to be able to spend a little time with J before having to head back home. The girls will be staying the rest of the week for the Full Tour Deal. Props to Brian Witry of SpiderMonkey for getting a podium taking 3rd. Finished 41st of 66 starters.
Race Speed 24.6+
On tap: Peoria Cycling Classic/State Crit Championships
Photos: Jonathan "Chip" Gray


1 comment:
Thanks for the props...
Lots of racing left his summer, see you out there.
Post a Comment