January 20, 2011

Now Training With Power

What up,
I am now training with power thanks to Quarq and CinQo. Quarq is the company that produces and manufactures the CinQo crank based power meter, based out of Spearfish, South Dakota. They actually replace the spider on certain cranks with a CNC machined anodized spider that they install the meter on.
I must say it is very cool. All I have used since 1993 to gauge fitness and workouts is speed, cad, and an HR monitor. It worked well for many years for many racers including myself. I am ready to take my training to the next level and given the accessibility of power meters and technology of today. This was a logical move and investment for me.

I've used it twice now, so to say I'm a noob is an understatement. However, I am learning fast under the tutelage of Sir Jim Scott and the developers of Golden Cheetah power software.

I tested the first day with a 20 minute max effort test to estimate my CP (Critical Power) and the second workout was my first 2x20 @80% of the year. All I will tell you is that using power truly is the superior form of monitoring and setting up workouts. Your bike workouts become as specific as lifting weights in the gym. Its that simple, just don't assume its easy!

Catch ya soon!

No comments: