January 05, 2011

Winter Program

Ok, I'm just going to post a little bit about what I am up to this winter. Much different than what I have done in the past, which was basically NOTHING until the end of January, haha!

So the old thinking of cyclists was that strength and weight training was taboo for racers and we should stay away from it completely. Well, I'm going against that. Together my colleague/personal trainer and I have set up an 8 week program that will finish up in Mid-Feb. Also of note, it is not devoid of riding.

Here is what I'm doing....
Tuesdays -I lift legs. Single leg press, single hamstring curls, walking lunges with weight bar across shoulders. In that order. 4 sets of 12 reps each leg.
Wednesday and Thursday - I spin on the rollers zone 2 low zone 3 for aerobic base work for 45-60 minutes depending on how much time I have at lunch
Friday - I do functional core with plyometrics intermixed. I'm not sure what each exercise is called but they are tough if done correctly. Again, focusing on single leg exercises when working the legs. I start with single leg lunge squat with the stabilization leg in a strap hanging from the ceiling. After that is a kettlebell lunge forward, burst up and twist pivot back bringing the kettlebell above eye level. Then it is some type of leg lift crunch also with a kettlebell. Last is seated kettlebell swings where I sit back at about 45 deg and swing the kettlebell twisting all the way around low and in front of me coming all the way around and tapping the kettlebell behind my but cheeks on each side.
Saturday - Free Ride, low zone
Sunday - Free Ride, low zone

I'll say this too, thanks to our sponsor First Endurance, I have been using Ultragen recovery after every workout, be it just lifting or simple zone 2 tempo rides and the stuff is phenomenal!! It does wonders even after weight training days which it wasn't even designed for!! The cappuccino flavor rocks!!

I'll follow this program until mid to late February.

I am up to 205lbs on the single leg press now on the 4th set, when I started my 4th set was 165lbs max. I'm 3 weeks into the program. There is no way you can tell me that this is not going to improve my watts! ;-)

No comments: